This section of our Website contains transcribed records and links to sites outside our Website that have transcriptions or relevant information. General research sites and links for our area can be found under ‘Local Resources’ and general genealogy research information, history and genealogy databases are listed under ‘Research Tips and Links’.
Please contribute any transcriptions you have and help provide access for our fellow researchers. While we mainly focus on St. Johns County and the surrounding area, we will be happy to add information to our pages for any location.
History from the St. Augustine Record Website, St. Augustine.com
The City of St. Augustine is the nation's oldest permanently occupied European settlement, having been founded by the Spanish in 1565.
On Sept. 8. 1565, Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles came ashore and named a stretch of land near the inlet in honor of Augustine, a saint of the Roman Catholic Church on whose feast day - Aug. 28 - land was sighted. The location has been pinpointed in recent years by archaeologists from the University of Florida as being where the present-day Mission of Nombre de Dios and the Fountain of Youth stand, several blocks north of the City Gate and the Castillo de San Marcos.
The emphasis on "first European settlement" acknowledges that the Timucuan Indians were here first and observed Menendez and his party of about 1,500 soldiers and colonists. Since, the city has been under the governments of Spain, 1565 to 1763 and 1784-1821; Britain, 1763-1784, and United States, 1821-present. Florida became a state in 1845. It was part of the Confederacy from 1861-1862 when it returned to Union control.
St. Augustine in the late 1880s had its birth as a resort community with the arrival of Standard Oil co-founder Henry M. Flagler. He built two hotels and took over another to serve as the base of his Flagler System hotels. He founded the Florida East Coast Railway as a means of transporting guests to and from the north to his hotels in St. Augustine, Palm Beach, and Miami.
Three of his former St. Augustine hotels are in use today as Flagler College (Hotel Ponce de Leon), Ligntner Building/City Hall (Alcazar) and Casa Monica, redone as a county courthouse in the 1960's.